As a part of having an alter ego, individuals try to keep secret identities, often telling few people as possible about their alternate identity. Below are lists of characters' secret identities, and who is aware of them.
Jefferson Pierce/Black LightningEdit
To give people hope and save his city, Jefferson Pierce uses his powers to fight crime; becoming the superhero known as "Black Lightning".
- Peter Gambi: Gambi helped to create both of Jefferson's vigilante suits, also helping to patch him up when necessary.
- Lynn Stewart: As his wife when he first began crusading as Black Lightning, Lynn is aware of Jefferson's vigilantism.
- Anissa Pierce: After fighting him unknowingly, she was beaten and knocked out, causing Jeff to voluntarily reveal his identity as Black Lightning to her when she woke up.
- Jennifer Pierce: After Anissa revealed her identity as Thunder to Jennifer, she also revealed Jeff's identity as Black Lightning to her as well.
- Martin Proctor: Martin found out after Jefferson caused a power outage after being captured. 
- Kara Fowdy: Kara found out after being told by Martin Proctor. But after seeing a hologram of Black Lightning in action made by Gambi, at the same time that Jefferson was in police custody, it seems that she no longer believes that Jefferson is Black Lightning.
While having no official alter-ego at the time, Anissa uses her powers to fight crime in Freeland; becoming the superheroine known as "Thunder".
- Lynn Stewart: After yelling at attackers tying up her mother, Lynn realized that the costumed vigilante was her daughter, Anissa.
- Jefferson Pierce: After beating her to unconsciousness, Jeff got a close look at Anissa's face, realizing it was his daughter.
- Peter Gambi: After Jeff knocked her out, he called for Gambi's help in transporting Anissa.
- Jennifer Pierce: Jennifer found out after Anissa used her superhuman strength to life Jennifer's bed up, in order to make her believe that she is Thunder.