- For the similarly-titled episode, see Lawanda: The Book of Hope.
|HOLDING OUT HOPE - As Jefferson Pierce (Cress Williams) tries to determine if the community can survive without the help of Black Lightning (Cress Williams), Anissa (Nafessa Williams) starts to come into her own. Meanwhile, Jefferson and Lynn (Christine Adams) try and figure out their new dynamic. Finally, Jennifer (China Anne McClain) reveals to her parents that she has been grappling with something big. James Remar, Damon Gupton and Marvin Jones III also star. The episode was written by Jan Nash and directed by Mark Tonderai (#103). Original airdate 1/30/2018.|
In the wake of Lawanda White's death, Reverend Jeremiah Holt plans a peace march to protest against The 100's crimes. Both Jefferson Pierce and Inspector Bill Henderson think the march is not a good idea. Meanwhile Anissa Pierce meets Grace and begins to experiment with her powers.
Tobias Whale meets with Lady Eve, and then instructs his people to attack the peace march, offering Lala's place in his organization as incentive. Black Lightning protects the march, but Syonide shoots Reverend Holt. The bullet passes through the Reverend and hits Jennifer's boyfriend Khalil Payne. Public opinion on Black Lightning's intervention is mixed. The public is generally on his side, but Inspector Henderson believes he is making the situation worse.
Peter Gambi deletes evidence that Tobias was near the peace march before Jefferson can discover it. At the hospital, Reverend Holt is going to be okay, but Khalil is informed that he will not walk again.
- Cress Williams as Jefferson Pierce/Black Lightning
- China Anne McClain as Jennifer Pierce
- Nafessa Williams as Anissa Pierce
- Christine Adams as Lynn Stewart
- Marvin "Krondon" Jones III as Tobias Whale
- Damon Gupton as Inspector Bill Henderson
- James Remar as Peter Gambi
- Jill Scott as Lady Eve
- Jordan Calloway as Khalil Payne
- Charlbi Dean as Syonide
- Clifton Powell as Jeremiah Holt
- Chantal Thuy as Grace
- Amanda Davis as Joan Lincoln
- Eric Mendenhall as Joey Toledo
- Shein Mompremier as Chenoa
- Donny Rogers Carrington II as Youngster #2
- Carolyn Jones Ellis as Marcher #2
- Holly Firfer as Reporter
- Brandon Rice as Marcher #1
- The episode was previously titled "The Apple Falls".
- During Jefferson Pierce's training session for crowd control with Peter Gambi an Easter egg is shown in the form of a bus stop sign showing the restaurant " BIG BELLY BURGER" which is a popular place in DC comics and the "Arrowverse", the latter being separate from the Black Lightning Television series.