- "This was the night, in the rain, with Thunder and Lightning as a witness, that Black Lightning was born again."
- —Jennifer Pierce[src]
Jennifer "Jen" Pierce (born October 7, 2001) is a student at Garfield High School. Jennifer is also the daughter of Jefferson Pierce and Lynn Stewart, the younger sister of Anissa Pierce, and the ex-girlfriend of Khalil Payne.
Attending Garfield High SchoolEdit
Jennifer went on to attend Garfield High School, where she once beat Lana in a track race. In 2018, she texted her friend Kiesha Williams as she and her father waited to pick up her sister, Anissa, from Freeland Police Department. She handed her sister a dress to change into, before they left to go to a fundraiser at Garfield High. On their way there, they were stopped by police, who initially believed Jefferson to be a suspect from a nearby robbery. When they got to the school, Jennifer went to get ready to go clubbing with Kiesha. They were interrupted by Anissa, looking for her sister. Jennifer lied, claiming they were going to a house party, and Anissa allowed her to go, providing she was home in time. They got to Club 100, where Jennifer flirted with Will. The two were surrounded by gang members, before being taken to see Lala. Will continually attempted to refer to Jennifer as his "girl" while groveling for mercy, causing Jennifer to hit him in the stomach. They were interrupted by Jefferson Pierce, unbeknownst to any of them, who used his electrical powers to incapacitate the gang members. Jennifer ran home, where she was met by her mother, who helped calm her down. She was then reprimanded by Anissa.
The following morning, Jennifer joined her father and sister for a run. She then headed to school, where she was followed by Will. She requested he leave, but he refused. It quickly escalated, but Will was sent off by Principal Pierce before he could pull a gun on Jennifer or Anissa. Jefferson talked to his daughters, scolding Anissa for altercating with him, before they left on the bell. Later in the day, Will returned with a group, kidnapping the girls. He took them to the Seahorse Motel, but they were soon rescued by Black Lightning. They were taken home by Inspector Bill Henderson, embracing their parents. The two girls eventually fell asleep together.
Jennifer slept with her mother for comfort. The following day, talking with Khalil Payne on the phone, Jennifer was approached by Malik, who shot her with red liquid from a water gun, claiming it as a message from Lala. That night, Khalil came by, shyly asking Jennifer to be his girlfriend. She accepted and the two kissed. The day after, Jennifer and Kiesha sat above the bleachers at school, drinking alcohol. She took the bottle and met Khalil in the gym. He got angry that she was drinking and took the bottle from her, throwing it out, before comforting her.
Jennifer attended the funeral of Lawanda White, listening and standing up as Reverend Jeremiah Holt implored the crowd to join him in a march against The 100. Khalil double checking with Jennifer that she was okay with losing her virginity, she spoke to her parents about it over dinner, leaving them speechless. After dinner, Jennifer convinced Anissa to join her at the march. The following night, Lynn took Jennifer to the march, the three women joining the crowd. They were stopped, however, when Khalil and Reverend Holt were shot. As they were rushed to the hospital, Jennifer was comforted by Anissa, before the doctors told her that he may never walk again, the bullet having hit Khalil's spine.
Shortly following this, once Khalil began rehabilitation, Jennifer skipped school to help him. She overheard nurses talking about him being a hopeless case, which she called them out for. Jennifer then headed home, where her parents suggested she end things with Khalil, as she already had plenty on her plate. The following morning, Jennifer went to school to quit the track team, before going to Khalil and revealing the news, to his clear disappointment. The following day, Jennifer returned to the hospital with her father, who shortly entered with Khalil's mother, when he revealed the final diagnosis to Khalil: that he would never walk again.
Jennifer later went rollerskating with Kiesha, where she met her old nemesis, Lana. Lana expressed her hate for Jennifer since she beat her in a race at school. Lana tried to beat up Jennifer but she defended herself by countering Lana and her friend, and ultimately breaking Lana's wrist. Coming home to her parents talking to Lana's mother and aunt, Jennifer was scolded and punished by her parents for the act.
After her sister was arrested for protesting once again, Jennifer accompanied her father to Freeland Police Station to pick Anissa up, watching on as Jefferson lectured her elder sister. That night she talked to Anissa, admitting her feelings of guilt regarding being with Khalil. The following day, she was made fun of on social media by Khalil, causing her to sit on her own in the school gym. Her father entered, comforting her. He took her to go see Khalil, but Khalil was nothing but bitter, blaming her for all that had happened to him. Jennifer left, regretting the choice to even see him.
Sensing something up between her sister and father, Jennifer coerced it out of them, them claiming that Jefferson had simply not kept an appointment with Anissa.
No longer having an after-school activity, Jennifer began helping her mother at Bowman College. She began by helping clean up the lab from a break-in, but her mother allowed her to go when she asked to help Kiesha put up posters around school. While at school, Kiesha attempted to put a poster up above some scaffolding where nobody could remove it. Believing her to about to fall, Jennifer yelled out at her, accidentally burning some posters and frying her phone. Unsure how she'd done it, Jennifer later tried again with her phone, realizing she had some sort of powers. She later went to her sister, showing her what she'd done.
Feeling down due to her confusion over the emergence of her powers, Anissa visited Jennifer, hoping to ease her mind. She revealed that Jennifer was a meta-human, as were she and their father, both of whom were Thunder and Black Lightning, respectively. Jennifer initially didn't believe her, but when she lifted her bed up, freaked out. Putting it down, Jennifer ran downstairs into her father's arms. She mentioned Anissa's claims, Jefferson's silence confirming them, making her run off. Following this, Lynn let Jennifer know that she could talk to her whenever she felt like talking. Shortly after, Jen began searching Black Lightning and Thunder online, finding a video in which a man complimented Thunder's ass, a video she showed her sister. Admitting that Anissa did have more dignified fans, she offered to show her. Continuing to give her mother the silent treatment, Lynn decided enough was enough and sat her down. She profusely apologized, before Jennifer admitted that she just wanted to live a normal life, unlike Anissa, breaking down in tears. Not long following, her father apologized and the two watched a film, Princess and the Frog.
Having gotten ready for school, Jefferson asked Jen to stay home for her own safety, a request which annoyed her but she followed. While at home, she argued with Anissa about her powers, growing angry when Anissa claimed that she had left Khalil. This caused her eyes and hands to glow, before generating an immense amount of energy, accidentally shooting some electricity at a pillow, burning through it. Following this, still feeling down at not being "normal", Jen's father comforted her, assuring her that while it was hard, she had to push through. After this, the two girls went to Bowman College, where they were able to determine that Jennifer's powers made her similar to a generator, in that her cells created pure energy. Later that night, the entire family moved into Jefferson's childhood home, as the A.S.A. discovered Jefferson's secret identity.
Arriving at school with her sister, Jen was greeted by her dad. Early into the day, a number of classes, including Jen's, were interrupted when Jefferson's car was being broken into by police officers. Allegedly finding Green Light, Jefferson was arrested, much to the anger of Jennifer. Jefferson assured her everything would be fine, asking her to calm down so as to not provoke her untrained powers. Later that day, Jennifer expressed her concerns to her mother that her father would never return home, but Lynn quashed these fears, assuring her that he would. Sure enough, Jefferson was exonerated and returned home that night, much to the ecstatic surprise of his family. Jennifer quickly expressed her wish for ice cream, which the family shared, before they had dinner with Gambi.
Jennifer is a strong independent woman with a wild streak. She loves to party and have fun. But she can also be a bit arrogant and stubborn. But she does have a caring side which she mostly shows to her best friend and family.
Powers and abilitiesEdit
- Meta-human physiology: Jen inherited the metagene from her father, Jefferson Pierce, granting her superhuman powers.
- Electricity generation: Unlike her father, Jefferson Pierce; Jen is like a generator as she can create pure electrical energy from her own cells and use it to her will. She can even generate enough amounts of electricity to "power-up" her father after he was completely drained of his powers, though it left her momentarily exhausted.
- Electrokinesis: Jennifer has the power to generate electric shocks and bursts from her hands. This power was first activated when her friend Keisha fell down a scaffolding and she got scared. She accidentally used it to destroy her phone. Whenever she utilizes or is about to utilize her electrical powers, Jennifer's eyes glow bright orange.
- Electric blast: Just like her father, Jefferson can create blasts and bolts of electrical energy and project it at her opponents.
- Electro-telekinesis Using her electricity, Jennifer can manipulate the matter of objects with electricity or electromagnetism. She first utilized this when she created an electro-rope/lasso to lift Martin Proctor into the air and bring him down.
- Electrical transformation: Jen can generate an electrical field, turning her into a being of sentient lightning.
- Athletic prowess: Jen possesses impressive athletic prowess, as it has been mentioned that she is a stand out scholar-athlete, just like her father, Jefferson.
- Hand-to-hand combat: Jen possesses impressive fighting skills, having been taught how to fight by Jefferson, she was able to defend herself against two teenage girls, and break one of their wrists with ease.
- According to Will, Jennifer has an Instagram account.
- Jennifer is applying to Harvard.
- Jennifer has mentioned that she smokes weed.
- According to Lynn through her CAT scan, Jennifer is like a generator, her cells can create pure energy.
- Jennifer has a driver's license.
- Unlike her father, Jennifer generates orange-colored electricity, rather than blue.
- She is a stand out scholar athlete, just like her father, Jefferson.
- She is similar to Sara Lance and Thea Queen, from another CW series, Arrow.
Behind the scenesEdit
- In DC Comics continuity Jennifer Pierce is a superhero known as Lightning.
- Jennifer's quote regarding Black Lightning's return, "with thunder and lightning as a witness" is a reference to both sisters' superhero identities from the comics: Anissa as Thunder and Jennifer as Lightning.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 "Three Sevens: The Book of Thunder"
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 2.5 "The Resurrection"
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 "And Then the Devil Brought the Plague: The Book of Green Light"
- ↑ "Lawanda: The Book of Hope"
- ↑ "Lawanda: The Book of Burial"
- ↑ "Black Jesus"
- ↑ "Equinox: The Book of Fate"
- ↑ 8.0 8.1 8.2 "The Book of Revelations"
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 "The Book of Little Black Lies"
- ↑ 10.0 10.1 10.2 "Sins of the Father: The Book of Redemption"
- ↑ 11.0 11.1 "Black Jesus: The Book of Crucifixion"